Sunday 9 January 2011

#06
Spider Baby
(Jack Hill, 1964)


Jack Hill’s “Spider Baby” was one of the first films I ever wrote about for this weblog, back in the halcyon days of May 2009. You can read what I had to say here if you like, although my formative stab at long-form film-writing probably leaves something to be desired.

In particular, I’d like to take back the bit about the straight/normal characters lessening the film’s impact when they turn up halfway through. On the contrary, looking back now, I think they’re all pretty brilliant – some great comic acting and memorable turns from all concerned. Obviously they’re somewhat overshadowed by Lon and Jill and Sid, but who wouldn’t be?

What an amazing movie, though. It’s like the weirdo-horror “It’s A Wonderful Life”. Makes me cry every time, seriously.

No comments: