Wednesday 8 December 2010

#23
Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders
(Jaromil Jires, 1970)


Sorry folks, I honestly can’t think of a single coherent observation to make about Jaromil Jires’ folk-gothic-adolescent-poetic-Vampire-fairytale at the moment, but… well it’s just wonderful really, isn’t it? Like a great psychedelic rock album turned into a film, it’s the kind of thing one obsess over, get lost in. Another one of those films that makes you wish you could claw your way through the screen and live in its world of strange, earthy beauty. Absolutely unique – there is a richness to it that positively demands multiple viewings that I wish I had time to give it. You should see it if you haven’t already.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering, it IS a horror film because it’s got vampires in it, and Redemption released my copy. END OF.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh yea Vampires awesome

The Vicar of VHS said...

Again, agreed. :) I forget how I can across this one in the first place, but I reviewed it over at my site. Wonderful Dark Fairy Tale type stuff, with some gorgeous and arresting imagery and a few genuinely chilling moments. I found myself thinking of Tim Burton a bit, though only in a few of the visuals, and Jean Rollin a bit more. Fantastic movie.

BTW, have you seen or are you familiar with the Russian movie VIY (1967)? It would make a great companion piece to this one, imo, along with LEMORA: A CHILD'S TALE OF THE SUPERNATURAL (1973). I think you might find both of those interesting if you haven't seen them already.