Sunday 7 May 2023

The Other Breakfast in the Ruins & other updates.

So, first of all, I owe loyal/remaining readers an apology for yet another lapse in posting. I had been looking forward to regaining a bit of free time to devote to this-sort-of-thing during March and April, but, once again, the responsibilities and nasty surprises of grown up life have contrived to do a number on me. We’ll see how things go moving forward, but for now at least I’ve finally got a few new posts together to keep things ticking over through May.

Meanwhile though, imagine my surprise when I saw an update on Andrew Nette’s Pulp Curry blog last month, stating that he’d made an appearance on The Breakfast in the Ruins Podcast (talking about New English Library biker paperbacks, no less).

After momentarily feeling a bit dizzy and contemplating the possibility of there being some (appropriately Moorcockian) multiverse-blurring type shenanigans going on, I eventually reached the more prosaic conclusion that The Breakfast in the Ruins Podcast has been operating out of Bradford since 2019, is hosted by Andrew Stimpson, and covers a wide variety of pop cultural topics spinning off from the work of Michael Moorcock.

I’ve been sampling some episodes over the past few weeks, and it’s a great listen, which I’m sure readers of this blog would enjoy.

I’m very happy to have discovered the podcast, and I hope that Andrew and his collaborators won’t bear a grudge against me for sitting on the blogger, gmail and mixcloud IDs they could otherwise have claimed. (Well, I suppose they got the coveted .com, so that’s cool.)

Anyway - hopefully our shared belief that Breakfast in the Ruins is a great name for a thing on the internet will help overcome such petty differences and bring us together, fingers crossed.

In other podcast-related news, I was also overjoyed last month to note the appearance of a new episode of one of my all-time favourites, El Diabolik’s World of Psychotronic Soundtracks - their first in several years.

I’ll save the hyperbole, and instead merely state that I find the show (and it is more in the spirit of a broadcast radio show than what we’d usually think of as a ‘podcast’, really) entertaining, educational and strangely relaxing, and it is great to see them back in action.

There are few greater pleasures in my life than cueing up a few episodes from their archive to accompany a long walk in the countryside, and I’m confident that anyone with a passing interest in film and library music and associated esoteric mysteries of ‘60s/’70s pop culture will find the experience similarly fulfilling.

Right - that’s all for now. Proper content on the way very soon.

No comments: