Wednesday 31 December 2014

Top Ten First Time Viewings, 2014.


I know that non-annotated lists of old things aren’t really worth a damn to anyone, but as a temporary space-filling measure, here is a list I cobbled together over the holidays of the ten films I enjoyed / appreciated the most this year (counting first viewings only). With a bit of luck, I’ll be able to expand on these with a few short(ish) review posts in the coming weeks and months, but for now, everyone likes a fatuous end-of-year list right, even if it is in this case assembled by a man who apparently managed to watch a grand total of ZERO newly released fictional films during 2014.

Even by my usual backward-looking standards, that’s quite an achievement – whether a negative or positive one, I’ll leave you to be the judge. In my defense, it’s certainly been one hell of a year vis-à-vis my personal life, but nonetheless, here’s hoping I find the time to take in at least a *handful* of contemporary motion pictures in 2015.

Until then though, a happy new year to one and all, and here are some of the very best old movies I watched for the first time during 2014.

1. Gate of Flesh (Seijun Suzuki, 1963)
2. White of The Eye (Donald Cammell, 1987)
3. Phenomena (Dario Argento, 1984)
4. Classe Tous Risques (Claude Sautet, 1960)
5. Dark of the Sun (Jack Cardiff, 1968)
6. Neon Maniacs (Joseph Mangine, 1986)
7. Sorcerer (William Friedkin, 1977)
8. Southern Comfort (Walter Hill, 1981)
9. Violent Virgin (Koji Wakamatsu, 1970)
10. Death Laid An Egg (Giulio Questi, 1968)

No comments: