Sunday 26 September 2010

Accion, Enigma, Panico!:
Pulp España.

I found these in an archetypal dusty bookshop on a back street in Seville. Total cost: five Euros.

I suppose the owner must have wondered what I wanted with a stack of Spanish books, given that my grasp of the language is so abysmal I tried giving him fifteen (approximate to what the books would probably have cost in a London bookshop), and he had to spell out the correct price for me with his fingers.







One thing I found interesting in the shop was a huge pile of tiny, cheaply printed matchbox sized books – undated, but I’d guess probably from the ‘50s – published by Ediciones G.P. of Barcelona. Each of them seemed to be a brief guide to a particular subject, with topics ranging from atomic energy to Alpine mountaineering. They all had pleasingly bright, illustrated covers, but these two in particular attracted my more prurient interest;


No comments: