Wednesday 3 March 2010

Always Leave 'Em Dying
by Richard S. Prather

(Gold Medal, year unknown)


Hello, you cats.

When Pop Sensation posted Richard S. Prather’s sensational “Scrambled Yeggs” the other week – second on my list of Most Wanted pulp paperbacks behind the same author’s ‘beatnik thriller’ “Dig That Crazy Grave” (if anyone has a scan of that one, or a lead on where I can get a copy, PLEASE get in touch) - I decided it was about time I introduced the world of Shell Scott to this blog and scanned this one for you. Definitely one of my favourite items in my current pulp collection.


I love how these Prather paperbacks always make absolutely ludicrous claims regarding the author’s popularity (“the best-selling novelist in America today”, “20,000,000 copies sold” etc), safe in the knowledge that no one would ever bother to call them on it.

Anyone still wondering why I hold the works of Mr. Prather in such high esteem, just check this out:


"Kerplop!"

Yes folks, ‘Always Leave ‘em Dying’ is absolute dynamite - the closest we’ll ever get to finding out what might have happened if Mickey Spillane was dosed with acid. In a Hershell Gordon Lewis movie. One full of racketeering new age cultists who inexplicably talk in beatnik lingo, endless fist-fights, sappings, long plunges to oblivion, brain-washed dames and lengthy digressions in which sweaty, well-meaning businessmen get together to discuss the finer points of the California real estate market. Genius.


Oh, you BET I’ll enjoy them.

No comments: