Wednesday 2 December 2009

Mistress of Fear
by Hank Janson

(Alexander Moring Ltd, 1958)

Tonight there is a full moon over the UK, and I was looking forward all day to going for a nice walk this evening in the crisp winter air... that is until the sky clouded up mid-afternoon and it started pissing it down. Bah! I was gonna post a full moon-related book cover to tie in with this celestial non-event, but hey, you know what? I feel more like going for a weird, amateurish, totally f-ed up rendering of a woman jumping(?) out of a window.



Superb!




Hank Janson may have the business of grimly utilitarian thriller names all sewn up ("Murder", "Conflict" etc), but I think he deserves some kind of special recognition for "Sinister Rapture" and "Amorous Captive".

The opening page is spectacularly dull, so if it's alright with you I'm going no further;

1 comment:

JRSM said...

What a cover! The Carstairs was genuinely sexy, but this one is that perfect mix of crappy and dramatic. Have you ever read in Janson? I've been tempted, since he was so central to pulp of the era, but that first page is not exactly encouraging...