Wednesday 21 October 2009

Don't Bother To Knock
by Clifford Hanley

(Digit, 1959)





I'm afraid I startled several other second hand bookshop patrons by laughing out loud when I got to the phrase "glamorous wench". That plus complications ensuing, and I had to lay down 50p for this one.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but isn't it rather in the nature of "wenches" that they are not glamorous..? Then again, what do I know - I'm not a travel agent.

Here's the imdb page for the film this edition seems to be tying in with ("Haileywood Productions" eh?), not to be confused with the better known 1952 film of the same name. It's odd that the front cover fails to mention Elke Sommer, whose presence seems to have been the main selling point of this otherwise largely forgotten movie (tagline: "Elke Sommer...The 'Shot in the Dark' girl gives SEX a shot in the arm!") Anybody seen it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The original book "Love From Everybody" was turned into this quite appalling film and the plot plagiarised later in the stage play "Boeing Boeing" Unfortunately for the family finances the current litigineous society didn,t exist then!
The Hanley Estate