Tuesday 18 August 2009

Placeholder: Summer Holiday

I’m really sorry for the past month or so of blog death. As recent related in a similar post on Stereo Sanctity, I’ve had a busy summer full of wholesome stuff like travelling, gigs and associated shenanigans, and for the past few weeks I’ve been on holiday with limited internet access, whilst the USB stick with all my half-finished bits of writing on it remains in London.

Rest assured though, I’ve still found time to fit in plenty of weird movies, creepy, mind-bending paperbacks and the like, and I’ve got a ton of new posts to get up here just as soon as I get an opportunity to sit down and finish writing them.

In the meantime, it occurs to me that I’ve been to the beach three times in two weeks without even consciously attempting to do so, and in honour of this highly uncharacteristic state of affairs, I thought I’d hit up youtube for a brief tour of the weirder extremes of the ‘60s beach movie craze.

Top of my MUST SEE list for years has been 1964’s legendary ‘Horror of Party Beach; whenever I’ve searched Amazon and Ebay for a copy, it’s never shown up, even though Dark Sky Films claimed to be putting it out in a catalogue of theirs from a couple of years back. I assumed it was maybe being kept off the market for copyright reasons or some such nonsense, but no, turns out I was just being a fool. You see, it IS available, as a double feature with the same director’s earlier proto-slasher flick Curse Of The Living Corpse, only the disc is listed everywhere NOT under either film’s title, but as DEL TENNEY DOUBLE FEATURE. Go figure. So remember, film fans, always hit up a search for the director’s name, star’s name, whatever, before you despair.

Now with that out of the way, let’s all get our bikinis out and do the Zombie Stomp with The Del Aires, and I’m sure that as the August dog days give way to the drizzle-soaked shackles of Autumn monotony, I’ll soon be back where I belong, in my darkened room with a four-pack of Old Speckled Hen and some Mario Bava DVDs, and all will be right with the world.

















And finally, one of the greatest trailers of all-time…



You have no idea how much I wish Hollywood still made stupid, wonderful movies like this, casual misogyny notwithstanding.

No comments: