Thursday 5 August 2010

“Happy…? Long ago I knew what it meant to be happy..”


Incongruous as it may seem for a blog mainly dedicated to horror and weirdness, Shaun of The Celluloid Highway has seen fit to bestow a Happy 101 award upon Breakfast In The Ruins. Thanks dude, much appreciated!

It’s another of those chain letter blog award things that I just can’t say no to, and the rules are pretty straight forward: list ten things that bring me joy, and designate ten favoured blogs to pass the award on to.

Right, this shouldn’t take long…

JOY:


1. The Ramones.

2. Fuzz pedals! And dissonant, crazed guitar noise in all its many and varied forms.

3. John Carpenter! Just, y’know, for everything… but, recently, for this in particular.

4. A fucking good loaf of bread! As made in a bakery, by a baker. Can’t beat it.

5. Betty & The Werewolves!

6. The fact that I have tickets to see Jonathan Richman play in a pub down the road from my house in a couple of months!

7. The fact that there are hundreds of Japanese delinquent girl gang movies out there, and I’ve only seen, like, one!

8. Booze! You don’t think I watch all these movies sober, do you? Real ale, half decent red wine or a straight glass of single malt – beyond that, I’m not fussy.

9. H.P. Lovecraft! Where would I be without the formative influence of this reclusive old bigot and his strange imaginings? Happy and successful and not scribbling weird junk on the internet, probably.

10. Godzilla! It makes me so happy every time he lumbers across the screen like a big doofus with a hangover, looking for breakfast, wishing life would just stop fucking with him for a minute.

11. Barbara Steele! The one and only.


12. ‘Black Hole’ by Charles Burns and ‘Hate’ by Peter Bagge! Two comic books I never tire of looking at. Probably best not think too hard, re: why.

13. All Ages Records, on Pratt Street NW1, and Up the Video Junction in Camden Market! undoubtedly the two best shops in London when it comes to serving my particular cultural needs, and I only recently discovered they’re both run by the same people! God bless them and their friendly, endlessly enthusiastic, cool band starting, exemplary shop-keeping ways – long may I continue to give them my money in exchange for neat stuff.

How many’s that? Thirteen? Shit, close enough.

BLOGS:


Last time I had one of these awards, I tried to do non-film related blogs, so, this time around, ten of my favourite film blogs:

Acidemic
Bangalore Film Society
Cavalcade of Perversions
Cult Movie Reviews
Die, Danger, Die, Die, Kill!
House of Self-Indulgence
Lost Video Archive
Love Train For The Tenebrous Empire
Monster Movie Music
Quiet Cool

They're all pretty super.

9 comments:

Hans A. said...

Congratulations Ben. You deserve the accolades. And thank you very much for passing the award on to my blog. I'm very grateful and, above all, very appreciative.

The Goodkind said...

Thanks eh,I just gave you one too without realizing you already had one.

I am not Kek-w said...

Barbara Steele!!!!!

Ben said...

My thoughts exactly.

I've been looking for an excuse to post that photo for months.

Unknown said...

Gerrrrate Blog man, Spent far to much time reading your stuff, I could have been watching John Carpenter moves instead!

Stay Well Stay Joyful

John

mokiie said...

Ramones is happiness .

Lost dvd said...

Good Blog man!Thanks for it.

lea said...

What about now? you don't know what is meant by being happy? that couldn't be.

mylaughingblog said...

This is the first time I have visited your site. I found a lot of interesting information in your blog. Keep up the good work.